Monday, August 07, 2006

Someone tell me what is gay-pride

Six color rainbow gay pride flag flying over the Castro gay village in San Francisco, June 2005. Image source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RainbowFlagCastroSF2005.jpg


I feel I don't understand what gay-pride is. So if someone asks me "are you proud of being gay?", I really don't know how to answer. Should I say yes? should I say no? Well, it's better if I explain myself.


I suppose that when you are proud of something, you believe that's very good and it is better to have it than not to have it. I really feel it's very good to be gay: well done, the pleasure of watching or making love with men is hardly comparable to anyone else. But, on the other side, I don't feel I'm better than other people just for being gay: obviously the same amount and kind of pleasure I find in men is to be found for many people in the opposite sex. It's not better or worse, it's just what I am.


But someone would say: "OK, dude, if you're not proud of being gay, then you are ashamed of". But that's not the case. I don't feel ashamed of it; indeed, I would defend my condition and repel the conservative and chauvinist attacks of others as courageously as needed. I even feel rage and indignation against homophobia. Not everyone in my family knows about my condition, but this is because strategic reasons: if my father knows and feels so bad, I would fear the situation becomes so difficult at home as to make me hard to finish my undergraduate studies. But mama and my younger brother know, and if someone else gets acquainted, I will surely repel any homophobic opinion that may arise. Concerning the rest of the world, I think I don't have to tell everyone; but when I feel that someone is going to become a very close friend, I feel the need of making him/her know; most of my closer friends know, accept that and the friendship became even closer when I told them. Indeed, sometimes I wish all my acquaintances in my University's Department of Philosophy (where I study) know the fact. It becomes boring and uncomnfortable when everyone tell men-and-women tales assuming you're straight too and asking (tacitly or not) for your sexual likes and dislikes. Well, this is enough to say that though I don't feel ashamed

1 Comments:

At 09 August, 2006 09:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gay pride means different things to everyone. I don't particularly care for the term "pride" myself, because, as you said, it's nothing to be proud of, nor is it anything to be ashamed of. It is merely one part of me, and I am a myriad of parts, ideas, philosophies, beliefs, hopes, dreams, faults, and so on.

In general, Gay Pride is the term used to describe the one day a year where all the gay folks get together in various cities/towns and celebrate their "gayness," which means so many different things to so many different people. I rarely attend because I don't feel I'm represented by those who get all the attention, however, if I don't attend then I can't complain that I'm not represented, can I?

I mean, I'm all for people celebrating different aspects of their lives. But "Gay Pride" as a term is as unsavory to me as "Straight Pride" is. It's just unnecessary.

It is a good chance to see lots of guys in skimpy outfits, though!

Oh, and welcome to the blogosphere!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home